In this article we are going to discuss something about Server Side Scripting . So let’s begin from the what is server side scripting?
If you don’t know, what is server ? and how it is works? then you can read this article What is the Server? How does It work?
What is Server-Side Scripting?
Server-side scripting is a way of running any program on the server. In other words, the scripts that are executed on the webserver is known as server-side scripts.
These scripts are stored on the server and ,it is executed when any client send the request to perform any task.
For example, if you log in to your Facebook account for that you enter your username or password and click on the login button,
then that username or password given by you is sent to the server where server-side scripts are there that access the database and verifies that the username or password provided by you is correct or not.
If your login information was wrong scripts send the error message page to your browser,
and if your login information was correct it will redirect you to the home page of Facebook.
The important thing is that this program or scripts executes only on the server and after execution, It will send the output of the program in HTML format to the client.
You will see the web sites of a news channel or the web application who will give them information on whether, It will change continuously, this will only possible through the server-side scripting.
There are various types of programming languages are available to make server side scripts they are as follows
- Ruby and many more…
Advantages Of Server-side Scripting
- By using server-side scripting we can make database-driven websites or web applications.
- through this, we can make dynamic content or pages.
- The code of the server-side scripts is only available on the server so this is not accessible by the client that’s why this is secure.
- This is not dependent on the browser.
- These scripts are very useful to make such complex websites like social media, e-commerce, or even railway ticket reservation.
Disadvantages Of Server-side Scripting
- It can works only when we install the scripting software on the server.
- Making any dynamic website database is a very important part.
- If the speed of the hosting server is slow then the speed of server-side scripting becomes also slow.
- If the website is very large or to much traffic is there then you need better or powerful hosting.
- Or If the coding was wrong or if we do mistake there is a risk of website hacking.
Difference Between Client-side scripting or Server-side scripting
|Sr.No||Client-Side Scripting||Server-Side Scripting|
|1||It is a front-end technology.||It is a back-end technology.|
|2||It is run on the client’s browser.||Whereas it is run on the webserver.|
|3||The user can view the source code of client-side scripting.||The user can not watch the code of server-side scripting.|
|4||Client-side scripts never connect with the database on the webserver.||With the help of this, we can access the database on the webserver.|
|5||Client-side scripting cannot access the file system of the server.||It can access the file system stored on the server.|
|6||The response of the client-side script is fast as compared to server-side scripting.||The response of the server-side script is slow as compared to client-side scripting.|
|7||The user can block the client-side scripting by the setting of their browser so that it will not run on the user’s browser.||The user cannot block this type of scripts.|
How Does Server-Side Scripting Works?
- As the above image displayed that first when you type something on the URL(Universal Resource Locator).
- The request will go to the server.
- The server takes the information you put into the URL.
- After that, the server will send that information to the scripting language.
- Which is then turned into the variable data to custom data.
- And after then it sends back to you as a web page.
- And your data will be displays to you on your browser.
Contributed By :- Suhasini Mishra